So… You are going onsite?
Diversity in the USA
Did you know the distance from the east coast to the west coast is 4,800km or 3,000m?
- Americans represent many cultures, religions, lifestyles.
- There are regional cuisines, with a variety of tastes.
- American English is made up of many accents, and local slangs.
- The US is not a ‘cold country’. There are cold and hot areas.
- New York is not the same as New York City!
Don’t Go Clueless!
Learn before you go!
Know the popular baseball, football and basketball teams in your client’s area.
Find the local NBC, CBS, ABC or radio news to listen to the local events, local weather and pick up the local accent. Now you will be prepared to make small talk!
Lay of the Land
Use Google Maps to research the area you will be staying in before you go.
Time is Money
- Always arrive 5-10 minutes before the scheduled time.
- 1 hour meetings = 50 minutes.
- Write meeting agendas, with clear names and time frames.
- Let someone know ahead of time if you will be late.
- Know the office hours expected for you to attend onsite. Do not be late.
- Be 5-10 minutes early everyday.
- Being late is the ultimate offense. Never be late.
Before you catch your flight…
A successful onsite business experience awaits you!
You and your colleagues will impress Americans onsite through learning and practicing:
- Mannerisms for daily business interactions
- Business communication strategies that exude confidence
- Techniques to influence and impress in a variety of business situations, in and out of the office
Your Colleagues in the US Suggest..
- Learn to drive before you go!
- Learn how to cook and do household chores/laundry before you go.
- Listen, participate, get others to participate.
- Don’t speak in your native language, as Americans will feel left-out.
- Speak up, don’t interrupt, ask questions.
- Always, always, always be on time. Or, better yet, 5-10 minutes early.
- Learn the organizational chart of your client site, names of key people, and how to address them.
For interactive cross-cultural training strategy sessions to prepare your India based offshore teams for successful expat assignments, contact Authentic Journeys Consultancy today!
When to apologize to an American
Techniques to say no politely
Networked blogs link: http://nblo.gs/1179eh