Name of Video: What’s Your Why?
What is this video about:
It’s a motivational video about why people want to go to graduate school and what keeps people motivated to complete it even when there are many challenges.
This video is mostly likely tailored to motivate working professionals with or without families studying in graduate programs for career advancement.
Though you may not be in that target group- please don’t disregard this video’s message. The theme of the video “discovering your why” and “motivational strategies for completing graduate school in the face of obstacles” can speak to anyone of any age group and life circumstance that is in a graduate program and needs help to keep motivated.
Answer for yourself:
- What is my why?
- Why am I going to graduate school and what do I want to achieve from this experience?
- How do my current studies fit into my long term life and career goals?
- What kinds of things generally keep me motivated?
- Can I use those motivational techniques when times are good and when times are challenging?
- If my program is not moving in the right direction, what can I do to get back on track?
- How can I organize a support network that will keep me motivated and offer support when I need help?
- What short and long term goals can I create for myself to keep me on track?
- What are my strengths and weaknesses? How can I use my strengths to overcome my weaknesses?
- Can I encourage others through my strengths?
- Where can I get help to overcome my weaknesses?
- What can I do today to make sure I am on the right track, motivated, and achieving my goals?
- What are my long-term career plans after finishing this degree?
Brainstorm any other questions that come to mind.
Graduate student life is not only about learning from books and taking exams. It’s about using this time to create a framework for yourself in learning goal setting, self-motivational techniques, creative thinking, problem solving, brainstorming and long term life planning strategies. These skills may not necessarily be taught in class- you will have to take extra steps to learn and apply these skills to different scenarios in your life. It’s by doing this, you will not only have a firm platform for career success but feel more secure in your personal and family life for the years ahead.
Information about this video/ college:
This video was made by students of Franklin College, USA. See their website.
International Student Online Orientation Links
- Introduction, Objectives, Directions – Part 1 of 9
- Student Clubs and Recreation at American Colleges - Part 2 of 9
- Teaching Philosophy and Classroom Expectations From Professors – Part 3 of 9
- Admissions, Academic and Social Life at One American College - Part 4 of 9
- Is a Relaxed Atmosphere Conducive to Learning? - Part 5 of 9
- Campus Services and Perks - Part 6 of 9
- Small Town, Big Opportunities - Part 7 of 9
- College is FUN In and Out of the Classroom – Part 8 of 9
- Staying Motivated During Graduate Studies – Part 9 of 9
Appreciating Personal Achievements
Motivation attitudes across cultures
Session on Motivation and Goal Setting (Video)