Small Town - Big Opportunities
Video Name: LHU Overview
Watch below or on YouTube- Click Here.
College Featured: Lock Haven University in Lock Haven, Pennsylvania.
What is this video about:
Many students; especially from abroad may overlook small colleges in small, rustic and rural towns because it’s not in a big, bustling city. This video attempts to break the stereotypes that educational and social opportunities only exist in big colleges and universities in big cities.
Throughout the video, the theme is “We are proud to be a small college because here you will sit in smaller classes, get more individual attention from teachers, yet still be well prepared for big and important careers. Here, you will find a good support system and plenty to do on and off campus. Yes, the culture and lifestyle is different than a big city, but that is our unique angle. You will enjoy your time here because everyone knows each other, you will feel at-home and you won’t be lost in the crowd.”
Because of this, there is an assumption that adjustment to living in a small town (even if coming from a big city) is possible and students will get help from staff, faculty and students to make this possible. It is stated in the conclusion by Linda Koch, "What we are most proud about in Lock Haven is how we help students and families adjust to what college life is all about."
I wonder as a cross-cultural coach how specifically is that done? Of course if you need any assistance with that- I am happy to help! Check out testimonials from previous clients who needed assistance with college adjustment.
- Note that the students highlighted come from different places in US, yet they still face adapting to a new place and a new culture; especially those coming from a big city (Brooklyn) to a small, rural town (Lock Haven).
- The students refer to Lock Haven University as a ‘school’. Regardless if the higher educational institute is called a college, university or institute, Americans often call it a ‘school’.
- The video focuses on the multitude of activities one can do in Lock Haven. Being set in the countryside in the mountains gives ample opportunity for outdoor activities. Lock Haven has an ‘Outing Club’ which has been showcased in Part 2 of this training. Learn more about that by reading that post and watching the accompanying video. Click here.
Lock Haven University Website
Map (City and surrounding area, not exact address):
Thank you for taking the time to do the exercises and watch the video. This will help you better prepare for a successful cross-cultural adjustment in USA.
*I as the author of this post and blog am not being paid to promote these videos or colleges. I chose these videos on my own based on the fact that that they showcase American college culture in a way I found useful to the International College Orientation Process.
All videos in this series:
- International Student Online Orientation Links
- Introduction, Objectives, Directions – Part 1 of 9
- Student Clubs and Recreation at American Colleges - Part 2 of 9
- Teaching Philosophy and Classroom Expectations From Professors – Part 3 of 9
- Admissions, Academic and Social Life at One American College - Part 4 of 9
- Is a Relaxed Atmosphere Conducive to Learning? - Part 5 of 9
- Campus Services and Perks - Part 6 of 9
- Small Town, Big Opportunities - Part 7 of 9
- College is FUN In and Out of the Classroom – Part 8 of 9
- Staying Motivated During Graduate Studies – Part 9 of 9